Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trust and obey, for there's no other way...

Caleb and I were in the car discussing why it is that we are still expected to follow God's principles even during the times when they seem completely illogical to us. Just about that time we looked back and saw Ezra reaching over his car seat and putting his hands in Poppy's face. (Something that is a BIG no-no, but we are working on it.) Caleb told him no, we don't do that, and not to touch Poppy anymore. As we continued our discussion, we noticed him lean over and poke her. At this point we were getting aggravated and Caleb told him again, "Do NOT touch Poppy anymore!" I mentioned I think he keeps doing it because he doesn't know he could accidentally hurt her, so he doesn't understand the REASON it's wrong. Caleb replied, I don't care if he understands "WHY," he just needs to do it because that's what I told him. We both just looked at each other and started laughing...this was the answer to what we had been discussing! We can't see the big picture and so we don't understand WHY things happen the way they do. To us, we can't see the reason why what we're doing is THAT wrong, so we justify it to ourselves and keep on disobeying God to our own demise without even realizing. I came across Proverbs 3: 5-6 and I hope that everyone reading this is trusting the Lord rather than their own understanding. In our family we always TRY to "Obey first, Understand later," and that is sometimes EXTREMELY difficult, especially when you have a logic based mind like I do! However, I think that mantra would do everyone good, because as much as we like to think we do, we don't know it all, and certainly not more than God -no matter who you are.

No comments: